“Per Diem” refers to the daily allowance an employee is given for expenses incurred during business travels, which may include lodging, meals, entertainment, or other business-related activities. This article will show you how to create a per diem expense category and document per diem expenses.
Creating a Per Diem Expense Category
- Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner to access settings.
- Click on Manage Lists.
- Click on Expense Categories.
- Click on Add Expense Category.
- Enter a name and a fixed rate. This will allow users to enter a quantity instead of an amount when tracking expenses against this category. This is required for per diem and mileage expense categories.
- Populate or map the rest of the necessary information, such as Expense Account or Item below.
- When complete, click Save and Exit.
Documenting Per Diem Expenses
- From the Purchases page, click the + button to add an expense.
- Select a per diem expense category, enter a quantity, and populate other expense details as needed. The Merchant field can be left blank.
- Click Save when completed.